Random Post 1

Gambling can be very fun at times, but can also ruin your life. You can gamble on almost anything, from who will win a football game to the color of shoes a performer will wear. However my favorite type of gambling is blackjack. The goal of the card game is to get as close to twenty-one without going over. If you go over you lose, but if the dealer is closer to twenty-one than you, you lose as well. There is a basic strategy to the game that gives you the best odds possible, but often times many people do not follow it. The instant gratification from winning blackjack is unlike anything else. Watching the size of your chip stack grow is amazing. Although winning is very fun, the feeling of losing is horrible.

            Some nights you win big, but most nights you lose. Many people suffer from gambling addictions that can ruin their life. People will spend every penny they have to make back the money they lost. There is always a thought in your head after you lose that if you play with a little more money you will win it back, but this is rarely the case. Walking away from losing is very difficult, especially if it is a lot of money. There are many programs set in place that help those that suffer from a gambling addiction. Many casinos even offer a service that “black lists” you from their casino at your own willingness.

Comments

  1. Hi Host. I recently spent a weekend in Las Vegas with my family for Chinese New Year. I was marveling at the new super-hotels, getting lost in the cavernous casinos, riding the roller coasters, shopping in the neo-malls, but not gambling. Why? Simply because I don't want to lose money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Richard,

    I agree that gambling is dangerous sometimes especially when one is addicted to it. I think it is also why gambling is an illegal activity in most countries except in some certain cities. I have a relative who gambled so much that she lost all of her savings. I suggest we will not go into that.

    ----- Wei Zhang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Richard,

    I agree that gambling can definitely be fun, especially when winning. It's so easy to continue gambling if you're on a winning streak rather than continue on after losing several times in a row. I've never heard of the service "black list" and am sure there are many people would benefit from knowing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Richard,

    I've never gambled myself because I don't want to lose money that I've worked hard for, but I have a friend who bets on virtually every sporting event. He uses a website to place about $20 bets every day on whatever sport is in season, and does bets that piggyback off of each other--for example, if the Warriors win, the Sharks lose, and the Giants win, you get money for all three through just one bet. He's also placed huge bets of thousands of dollars on boxing matches. The crazy thing is, I've never seen him lose more than $50. When he explains it, he says that he knows all of the sports well enough that he doesn't consider the element of chance that you would from card games. To me, this is still crazy, but he's won a lot of money from it, so who am I to say what's crazy. Do you ever place bets like this or do you only play black jack?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard,

    I have never gambled outside of the typical lottery. I have been wanting to go to Vegas for the longest time but have yet to have the time. Everyone warns me of the dangers of gambling so I am hesitant. I will defiantly try it once to say I did it but I am not one to really like risking losing money either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Richard!

    I love Blackjack! When I was very young, my parents taught me how to play poker (everyone was shocked a 7-year-old knew the rules of poker) and I've loved it ever since! I've never bet money on it though, and only really play with my family and with fake money. Gambling is a very serious addiction though, and my grandfather's siblings suffered from it. I'm glad to hear that you can be blacklisted from casinos (at your own will) though! That sounds great for those who are addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Richard,

    This is a very interesting topic! I recently went to Vegas and I can't agree with you more on "some nights you win big, but most nights you lose." So for the last two days, I decided to go shopping instead of gambling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment