WORLD WE DARE TO IMAGINE PART 1


There are many things that go into making the world a better place, but we have the ability as a person to make an impact on the changing the world around us. I believe equality in today’s society is the most important factor in making the world a better place. If we destroy the divides between race and gender, it will create a chain reaction of events that will better the planet. When I was younger I didn’t realize the privilege I had of growing up in Orange County. I believed everyone lived the same way I did. However, this changed dramatically when I went to the Dominican Republic for a baseball tournament and to help the communities in the area. It first hit me right when we began to descend into the airport in Santo Domingo. There was a small village that was made solely out of scrap metal. I couldn’t believe my eyes, I was never exposed to such poverty until this time. As the trip went on we saw many more people that had lived in extreme poverty their entire life. That trip gave me a great appreciation for the place I live and the people I have that support me. I learned while I was on this trip that the only real way for any of the people growing up in that region to get out, was through baseball. In order to make our world better, I want to help give kids in the Dominican Republic a chance to get out of poverty and create a better life for themselves and future generations.

Comments

  1. Hi Richard,

    We had the very similar experience of realizing how lucky we are in this world compared to the unfortunate ones. Based on what I read about your post, I think one way you can help them, which is also suggested in your post is that we can help train them baseball or we can donate through a charity that helps to train baseball professionals in Dominica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Richard,
    I like your intention of helping Dominican children. I think that creating spaces for children to practice baseball will contribute to keep them away from violent environment and will give them a chance to work hard in order to change their current situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Richard,
    I agree that something should be done to aid the children and people of the Dominican Republic. I think tying a project to baseball that aids the community is a great idea, I also think that there may be a larger issue that you/we could address in the Dominican Republic which would aid not only boys interested in baseball, but girls and adults alike who currently live in impoverished communities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Richard,
    I agree with you and think it is really important to recognize our privilege so we can work to create equal opportunities for the less fortunate. Like you said the way to make the world a better place is through equality.

    -Haakon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment